Inclusive Excellence Video Modules and Other Resources
Situational Factors in the Learning Environment
By Dr. Brandy Bryson
Strategies for Student Success: Fostering Community and Sense of Belonging in Online Courses
By Dr. Krista Terry & Dr. Brandy Bryson
The Power of Case Studies
By Dr. Carol Babyak
Inclusive Syllabus Design Framework
By Dr. Elizabeth Bellows
Classroom Management for Remote Learning
By Drs. Elizabeth Bellows and Amy Cheney
Inclusive Language and Gender Pronouns
By Dr. Matthew Thomas-Reid & Dr. Christina Tschida
- Video Module
- Resource - Practice Using Gender Inclusive Language
- Handout from Presentation - Using Gender Inclusive Language
Inclusive Teaching Strategies for the Natural and Physical Sciences
By Dr. Carol Babyak & Dr. Maryam Ahmed
Recruiting & Retaining Faculty of Color
By Dr. Stacey Garrett
Anti-Racist Praxis: Students, Policies, and Sources
By Dr. Reeves Shulstad
Mentoring Students of Color
By Dr. Lamont Sellers & Dr. Brandy Bryson
Inclusive Leadership: A Conversation with the RCOE IE Faculty Fellow
By Dr. Elizabeth Bellows & Dr. Alicia Muhammad
Trauma-Informed Approaches to Teaching & Learning
By Dr. Jason Lynch
SoundAffect Podcast from Appalachian State University - Dr. Damon Williams
Dr. Williams discusses how to move the needle on campus diversity and inclusion. This podcast was recorded for campus leaders during his fall 2018 campus residency visit.
Teaching and Learning Tools, Worksheets, and Handouts
- Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education: A Status Report (Released February 14, 2019). View the presentation findings and moderated panels as well as the names and titles of the panel members.
Blogs & Op-ed Pieces
- Want to Reach All of Your Students? Here's How to Make You Teaching More Inclusive (Advice Guide)
- Traditional Teaching May Deepen Inequality. Can a Different Approach Fix It? A Chronicle Article Highlighting a UNC-CH Professor
- Penn State releases best practices in diversity strategic planning
- Diversity guide: Top 10 practical steps for advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education
- 4 Best Practices Around Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Ed
- The Case for Inclusive Teaching
- Understanding Today's Students: Who Are the Centennials
- 'Agents of change:' A year with the UMBC program shaping some of the nation's best and most diverse scientists
- An Honors College that Honors Grit
- The National Academies of Science, Engineering & Medicine Report on Culture of Sexual Harassment
- What do we mean when we say power and privilege? The Culture of Power
- Undocumented Student Resource Centers: Institutional Supports for Undocumented Students
- Critical Ethnic Studies: Do Not ‘Decolonize' . . . If You Are Not Decolonizing: Progressive Language and Planning Beyond a Hollow Academic Rebranding
- New York Times Magazine: "I was a Low-Income College Student. Classes Weren't the Hard Part. Schools must learn that when you come from poverty, you need more than financial aid to success."
- Faculty Focus: Higher Ed Strategies from Manga Publications Who Am I? A Strategy for Teaching about Power and Privilege
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Library is meant as a resource for current and incoming faculty. Its intention is to promote information concerning issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion in academic curricula and discourses. This catalog is an overview of articles that can be found in the DEI Library.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in Higher Education (including diversifying faculty)
- Faculty Resources for the Classroom
- Master Catalog for DEI Library
Association of American College and Universities
- A Vision for Equity
- "A Vision for Equity addresses equity gaps at thirteen participating campuses. The book details evidence-based interventions focused on improving student success and includes practical examples, models, and resources for identifying and addressing disparities in student outcomes. The project and publication were funded by Strada Education Network and Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation & Affiliates."
- Peer Review Spring 2017: Committing to Equity and Inclusive Excellence
- "Since 1970, bachelor degree attainment among students from wealthy families nearly doubled, but it has barely changed for those from the poorest families. Sponsored by Strada Education Network and Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation & Affiliates, this issue details the action plans from thirteen institutions for enhancing student success and academic achievement, especially among underserved populations of low-income, first-generation and minority students, as well as adult learners."
- Diversity & Democracy Winter 2018: Intersectionality and Well-Being
- "As campus communities become increasingly diverse, it is crucial to building cultures in higher education that respect and support all aspects of students’ and educators’ multiple, intersecting identities. This issue of Diversity & Democracy, produced in partnership with Bringing Theory to Practice and funded in part by Bringing Theory to Practice and the Endeavor Foundation, examines how higher education institutions can take an intersectional approach to foster individual, community, and institutional well-being."
- Liberal Education Summer/Fall 2017: Creating Inclusive Classrooms: Perspectives from Faculty Development
- "This issue explores the role of faculty development in creating educational spaces that welcome students of all identities and encourage dialogue across perspectives. Also included are articles on intersectionality and liberal education, racial divides in the contemporary United States, student engagement in the 2016 election, cocurricular arts programming, and the public narrative about teaching and learning."