The Center for Academic Excellence supports the University of North Carolina's BRIDGES Academic Leadership for Women program.
As noted on the BRIDGES website, BRIDGES is an inclusive professional development program for women in higher education who seek to gain or strengthen their academic leadership capabilities. It is designed to help women identify, understand, and build their leadership roles in the academy. Through an intensive program, participants will
- Develop insights into leadership, with a particular focus on the special skills and attributes women bring to their leadership roles
- Acquire an understanding of the many facets of colleges and universities
- Refine and improve their cross-cultural communication skills, and
- Create a program of personal and professional development to benefit themselves and their institutions.
Women from four-year North Carolina institutions of higher education, both public and independent, who want to position themselves for advancement in the academy, including
- Faculty interested in developing their leadership skills
- Faculty looking to move into academic administration
- Administrators with managerial and supervisory responsibilities
- Administrators seeking a greater range of responsibilities.