Digital badges provide another way to represent accomplishments in skills, learning, and career development for faculty, staff and students. The CAE is working with a group of faculty and staff to support digital badging efforts through AsULearn.
Though we're in the early stages of growth, badges earned in AsULearn can be exported to OpenBadges and other online platforms and have been utilized by Appalachian's Human Resources department, The James Center, and courses using A-Portfolio.
When creating digital badges in the AsULearn environment, there are many options to consider. In order to best support our campus badging efforts and collect the necessary information, we have created a form to request the creation of a badge. If you are interested in implementing a badging program, submit a Badge Creation Request.
A few questions to consider before requesting a badge:
- What skill or accomplishment does this badge represent?
- What criteria has a learner met to earn a badge? What did the individual have to do to get the badge?
- Is a badge appropriate for this skill/accomplishment? Are there currently other methods to credential this skill?
Learn more about badging and microcredentialing:
- 7 Things You Should Read About Microcredentialing/Digital Badging (Educause)
- What's an Open Badge? (Open Badges)
- Digital Badges (HASTAC)