A Faculty Learning Community (FLC) serves as a collegial platform for faculty to learn about and incorporate the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) into their teaching and coursework. UDL seeks to improve and enhance learning opportunities in ways that will benefit all students, but especially those with learning differences such as ADHD and executive functioning differences.
The Mindful College Classroom
Interested in helping your students with executive function challenges? Are you interested in learning about Mindfulness in all its forms and relevance to the college classroom? Sponsored by College STAR,The Mindful College Classroom Learning Community will focus these strategies that are designed to help a few are actually very helpful to all of our Appalachian students. Dr. Elaine Gray will lead the Mindful College Classroom monthly through the 2017-2018 academic year, utilizing both face-to-face and virtual spaces.
Utilizing The Contemplative Practices in Higher Education: Powerful Methods to Transform Teaching and Learning by Daniel P. Barbezat and Mirabai Bush, and Mindful Teaching and Teaching Mindfulness: A Guide for Anyone Who Teaches Anything by Deborah Schoeberlein David and Suki Sheth, this learning community will focus on:
- Pedagogy of mindfulness
- Finding ways to create mindful methods, activities, and practical things to help improve students learning at the University level
- Exploring the strategies and materials to enhance and support individual student growth
- Connecting mindfulness to UDL principles of student motivation and engagement, offering students multiple ways to act, express, and retain information
- Utilizing mindfulness techniques to aid students in organizing and scaffolding assignments
- Providing options for self-regulation
The Universal Design for Learning Principles
The Mindful College Classroom Learning community focuses on the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Principles. UDL is a framework to improve and optimize teaching and learning for all people based on scientific insights into how humans learn.
UDL at a glance: