The Center for Academic Excellence is pleased to offer and promote a variety of courses focused on teaching and learning with technologies for all delivery formats.
Agile Teaching Academy
The Appalachian Agile Teaching Academy is an asynchronous course aimed at helping faculty design a highly adaptable course utilizing online, hybrid, and f2f components. Faculty will think through important design considerations over the course of four modules and will explore questions such as:
- How can I design course components for maximum flexibility, regardless of teaching format?
- How can I organize my course for maximum student success?
- What is a good assignment and assessment structure for a flexible online course?
- How can I align instructional activities and assessments to learning goals to ensure my students are mastering important objectives?
- Am I making teaching choices that are inclusive of a wide range of student needs in a flexible environment?
Inclusive Teaching: Supporting All Students in the College Classroom
Explore the principles of inclusive teaching and learn how to apply them in your classroom to support diverse learners. This asynchronous, self-paced, open enrollment course is offered through edX from Columbia University.
Enroll in the next Inclusive Teaching course.
Designing Effective Online Courses
Two- and four-week pacing is available for the asynchronous workshop. You will:
- Teach: Learn how to move your class online quickly and effectively.
- Make: Build digital assets you can use immediately in your course.
- Discover: Master tools, technologies, and techniques for online teaching.
Course (Re)Design Institute
The Course (Re)Design Institute (CRDI) is designed to expand participants’ knowledge and skill in designing and teaching quality courses. During the Institute, participants will have the opportunity to:
Learn how to apply research-based teaching and learning principles to course design;
Design or redesign a course built on learner-centered design principles; and
Network and collaborate with your peers across campus.
See Workshops for the next Course (Re)Design Institute (offered in May of each year).